Re: cygwin -mno-cygwin AC_CHECK_SIZEOF

Eric Blake wrote:
What is the best way to resolve something like this?

Perhaps experiment with a cygwin text mount, so that cygwin cat will ignore the \r. Or experiment with the recent add-on to cygwin's bash, where exporting SHELLOPTS with the cygwin-specific shell option igncr set will tell subsequent /bin/sh invocations to strip \r from command substitution. Or rather than trying to cross-compile, with mixed results between mingw test binaries but cygwin build framework; just use the MSYS environment so that your entire build process is native.

Actually, maybe it would work if you invoked configure properly - since
- -mno-cygwin is requesting a cross-compiler, you REALLY should be invoking
it like this:
./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin \
CC='gcc -mno-cygwin'
And the fact that you are now telling configure the truth that you are
cross-compiling, even though the cross binaries are executable, may be
enough for autoconf to try harder for discovering how AC_CHECK_SIZEOF
should behave without tripping up on line endings (and if that is not the
case, maybe we should consider patching autoconf to make it happen that way).

I was with you up to the end. You should have no expectation that anything compiled for the target can execute reasonably on the build host in a cross-compiling environment.

As usual, I think just using MSYS is the best solution.

--
 -- Howard Chu