cygwin opengl problem

I finally managed to get this c++ program compiled on cygwin, and when I
start it up, the interface (done in fltk) works great, but the opengl
display window is frozen. It only shows the last frame from the openGL
buffer on the machine. if i open another opengl program, display something,
then go back to this one, it shows what was display last in the other
program. When i resize the window, the image gets scrambled, etc... but
nothing displays. Everything else about the program works though.

How do I begin to troubleshoot something like this. My professor who wrote
the code told me he used to compile on an older version of cygwin, and the
newer versions gave him this same problem, and he never had time to figure
out why. Another friend who has taken a look at it thinks it might have
something to do with calling gl functions before initializing the gl
context, which is apparently allowed on linux. He tried compiling the same
code on a macbook pro, and he says it crashes because the code makes a gl
call before initializing the gl context. My cygwin compiled version doesn't
crash, it even allows me to open and save obj files and perform
operations...

I know I haven't shown any code here, or given anything to really help
diagnose much, but if someone could give me pointers as to where to begin to
debug this problem, i would really appreciate it.

dave