Re: Cygwin slower on one computer

Magnus Holmgren wrote:

After some more digging - and a bit of feedback off-list - I get the feeling (in the cases I've noticed at least) that the speed difference is mainly explained by the following reasons (in no particular order):

* fork is expensive.
* vfork is just a wrapper for fork on cygwin.
* fork is much more expensive on AMD than on Intel.

The third one is the one I'm most unsure about, as I only really have data about one Intel architecture (the Pentium M). But on the AMD system, the page fault delta (as reported by Process Explorer) during a build is a little more than 10,000 per second, while on the Intel system, the page fault delta can go to 30,000 per second.

Below are results for two PC with Intel P4 3200 ("Prescott") and Athlon64 3200+ ("Winchester").
Both with 1GB, WinXP SP2, Cygwin 1.5.22, Virus Scanner + Personal FW off:

Command: "time ./configure && time make" (on smartmontools source)

CPU Intel AMD

./configure:
real   1m09.0    5m25.8
user   0m53.5    0m54.2
sys    0m10.5    1m48.2

make:
real   0m15.3    0m25.6
user   0m10.9    0m09.3
sys    0m02.5    0m07.4

Disabling HT on Intel makes no difference.

Looks like fork is *much* more expensive on AMD. Any idea why?

Christian