Re: Cygwin and Windows Vista support

Neeraj Garg (TRANSPORT) wrote:
I am not sure if that was request for help or just a witty comment back. I am willing to help Cygwin dev get in touch with appropriate folks in Windows Vista team to resolve the issue.

It was a witty comment and it really involves the windows kernel. In any case, please do all you can so that your Vista team contacts read this (c/o Corinna Vinschen)

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1020271&SiteID=1&mode=1 <http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1020271&SiteID=1&mode=1>

I know CreateProcess call should have worked.

Yes, it should have, at least, in older windows versions. But vista has had some sort of security elevation issues that causes process creation problems.

I am not in that team to give you information on what has changed in Vista compared to XP. All I can say is that I would like to see the product fixed and am willing to offer help.

PS: Some Vista users mentioned to me that Cygwin does not work and hence I am involved to make sure we can work together to make it work.

If any dev would like to work with Vista dev team to get the product ready soon, please let me know.

Neeraj

There have been discussions lately, precisely on process spawning on Cygwin. It appears to be a serious "security" bug on Vista. For details, read the thread started by Corinna Vinschen (senior cygwin developer) on:

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Co-Network Administrator

Member of the Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City
Tokyo 206-0011, Japan
http://www.astra.co.jp