Problems with bashrc in cygwin

I have installed cygwin and am having problems with my bashrc that I have
been unable to resolve.  I am sure I must be missing something obvious, but
the source of the problem evades me.  The most perplexing symptom I am
experiencing is the following:

If I include the following in my .bashrc:
    x1="xyz"
    x2="123"
    x3=$x1/$x2
then when I subsequently type "echo $x3" at the command line, the response
is "/123" rather than the expected "xyz/123".  Note that I experience this
problem whether or not I export the values of x1 and x2.  Particularly
perplexing is that if I do all this at the command line, it works just fine.

I apologize to those receiving this email if I am missing something
blatantly obvious, but I'm stumped.  Thanks in advance for any assistance
that you can provide.

--Hyam Singer