Re: activestate perl on cygwin

On 1/10/07, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
some dude wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>> I don't actually install through cygwin, but use the ppm installer
>>> from Activestate.
>> Why people would want to use a proprietary Perl with a proprietary
>> installer is beyond me. Let me ask you a question, what happens when
>> you call setsid in this ActiveState Perl? Anyways...
> Well, in my case when I make the call I run perl on Linux. Here I had
> to write a scripton a windows machine and before checking cygwin I
> checked activestate. Then I needed some modules, DBD:Orcale to be exact.
Maybe you should have looked for DBD::Oracle instead? :-)

According to ActiveState's website (http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.8/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html)

DBD::Oracle Oracle no longer provides the Oracle client libraries for
free, so we can no longer provide DBD Oracle as a PPM/PPM3 module. The
DBD-Oracle package for ActivePerl 5.6 is the last package compiled
before the licensing changed that is still available on our site. If
you wish to compile this module locally, the source may be obtained
from www.cpan.org. Instructions on using CPAN are at:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Reference/Products/ActivePerl/lib/CPAN.html.
If you are using Windows, an easy workaround for you might be just to
use DBD-ODBC instead.

Aside from the grammatical errors my point still stands. AFAIK ppm,
ActiveState's module installer, only works in ActiveState and I don't
believe that ActiveState works on Linux, Unix and Macs, whereas the

It looks like PPM3 works with all the OSes that ActiveState releases
perl for which include Windows, Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, and HP-UX.

I am not so sure about PPM2. It only has instructions for Windows.

Again, we have moved way out of the realm of relevance to cygwin at this point.

-Jason