RE: email and gmail

René Berber wrote:

>Jeremy T. Harrison wrote:
>> I am trying, fruitlessly, to get the email program to work with my gmail
>> account. I have ssmtp working fine (I did need to do some patching and
>> recompile ssmtp). The email program, on the other hand, is just
>> slightly beyond me. :-(
>>
>> My debugging indicates that email is not passing the parameters
>> (username/password) to ssmtp to initiate the TLS/SSL connection. This
>> from the following error message:
>> email: FATAL: Smtp error: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
>> f16sm6837732qba
>
>You have everything mixed up.
>
>Where did you saw that email can do TLS? It doesn't, the -u/-i parameters are
>for doing SMTP AUTH which is a different thing.
>
>> Are there any builds of email available that pass parameters correctly
>> to ssmtp? I indicate SMTP server in the email-config dialog -- is that
>> wrong?
>
>Doesn't matter, you can use -r <smtp-server>, and even change the port, nothing
>will make email use SSL (which is needed for TLS)-- the library is not linked.

From my perspective, email doesn't need to do TLS, that is left to ssmtp. The only
thing email should be doing is passing the various commands/directives from the
command line to ssmtp.

I know that ssmtp can/does do TLS - I fixed that myself, and it works fine (from
the command line).

Relinking the TLS library with email, occurs to be redundant to me. Nevertheless,
if that is necessary, has anyone made a patch available to do that?

My objective is to get a command-line e-mail; if there are alternates to email,
please send me some suggestions.

Thanks!
Jeremy Harrison