Re: Eliminating -mno-cygwin from gcc.

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:29:59PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>There have been no serious objections, so I think we should go ahead.
>Perhaps we should replace the gcc, g++, g77 etc.  drivers with shell
>scripts that look for -mno-cygwin on the command line and redirect to
>i686-pc-mingw-{gcc,g++,etc} or to i686-pc-cygwin-{gcc,g++,etc}, just to
>make life easier for the backwardly-compatible, but I don't see any
>reason not to go ahead and remove the option from the driver.

I can remove the driver from the upstream trunk sources but, as I've
repeatedly said, I don't want to make -mno-cygwin available by default.
If we still, by default, have the option then we still have problems
with people not getting it.

I think I'd rather wait until some kind of early warning system is
available in setup.exe than issue a "deprecated" warning which has
the capacity to propagate everywhere and live for a long time.

>I'm just trying a build now, and if it works well I'll figure out a way
>to bundle it up into cygwin packages and formally ITP it.  Once we
>/have/ the cross-toolchain, then we can finally figure out exactly how
>we want to integrate it.

Having a true mingw cross-compiler does sound like the right first step.
I guess this means that I need to generate a cross-binutils, too.

cgf