Re: ar 'unable to rename... Invalid cross-device link'

On Feb  7 11:48, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Maybe it's something with your permissions.
> >http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI2(*)
>
> Thanks for trying. Sorry about forgetting the version info, although
> (and I forgot to mention this too, more apologies...) 'ren' in cmd.com
> also fails, which is why I am pretty sure the problem is that for some
> unknown reason, rename() (meaning Windows' API) fails on NFS if the
> target already exists, at least under whatever combinations of
> permissions I have... with error 17 (ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE) of all
> things (which Cygwin translates to 18=EXDEV). I think the real question
> is 'should ar and/or Cygwin work around this apparent Windows bug'?

If even the native Windows tool fails...

Definitely not ar since that's a generic problem, not a binutils tool
problem.  I have my doubts that we really should workaround anything
here.  The first question is, what *exactly* is the problem we should
workaround?  If it's only a permission problem there's nothing to
workaround for us.

> D'oh! And I have more information... it only fails on Win2k3 (which
> means SUA, not SFU). I just tried on my XP machine and 'ar' succeeds.
>
> getfacl doesn't have much to say:

Forget getfacl.  NFS doesn't support ACLs so there's no such thing
as Windows security settings.  The actual relevant settings are in
the SFU or SUA MMC snap-in.

Actually, if you ask me, your goal is to get the native ren working.
If you can't get this working, you will have to ask Microsoft, IMHO.

Corinna

Red Hat