Re: ar 'unable to rename... Invalid cross-device link'

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Feb 7 11:48, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Maybe it's something with your permissions.
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI2(*)
Thanks for trying. Sorry about forgetting the version info, although (and I forgot to mention this too, more apologies...) 'ren' in cmd.com also fails, which is why I am pretty sure the problem is that for some unknown reason, rename() (meaning Windows' API) fails on NFS if the target already exists, at least under whatever combinations of permissions I have... with error 17 (ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE) of all things (which Cygwin translates to 18=EXDEV). I think the real question is 'should ar and/or Cygwin work around this apparent Windows bug'?

If even the native Windows tool fails...

Definitely not ar since that's a generic problem, not a binutils tool
problem.

Right, that's why I was thinking Cygwin (i.e. cygwin1.dll) would need to change. But... (cont'd at the bottom)

I have my doubts that we really should workaround anything
here.  The first question is, what *exactly* is the problem we should
workaround?  If it's only a permission problem there's nothing to
workaround for us.

I don't think so, since 'mv' succeeds (but then it also tries harder, i.e. removing the target and doing a copy followed by an unlink).

D'oh! And I have more information... it only fails on Win2k3 (which means SUA, not SFU). I just tried on my XP machine and 'ar' succeeds.

getfacl doesn't have much to say:

Forget getfacl. NFS doesn't support ACLs so there's no such thing as Windows security settings. The actual relevant settings are in the SFU or SUA MMC snap-in.

IOW the Unix permissions (as read by SUA)? Those're fine. In fact they *do* match what getfacl is reporting except that group = 0 (wheel), which apparently isn't mapping correctly.

Actually, if you ask me, your goal is to get the native ren working.
If you can't get this working, you will have to ask Microsoft, IMHO.

...and since I realized that the problem is in (newer) SUA and not (older) SFU, there might be hope there. And thanks anyway. :-)

--
Matthew
We interrupt this e-mail to bring you a lame signature attempting to be witty.