using ssmtp to send mail from Intel cygwin platform

Hello...: )

  I am having issues sending mail from within a perl
script on an intel
using the cygwin platform; the code is simply not
sending email or not sending the text in the file.
  CYGWIN_NT-5.1 laptop 1.5.23(0.156/4/2) 2006-12-19
10:52 i686 Cygwin

  snippet...

  qx(/usr/sbin/ssmtp $user < $log);
  system("/usr/sbin/ssmtp $user < $log") or warn
"email did not send
$!";
  'ssmtp $user < $log`;
  I then tried to just type in the email recipient and
file w/out using
variables and this did not work.
  I did verify the log and user variables were being
parsed correctly
via print "[$user]\t"[$log]";

  I have tried using qx, system, ` ` and require
calling a file that
has the ssmtp command in it to no success. I receive
no warnings or
errors.
  I then tried using MIME::Lite and it does not send
and no errors or
warnings.

  However, the command alone from my cygwin prompt
does send mail after
configuring ssmtp via /usr/bin/ssmtp-config.
  ssmtp oryann9@yahoo.com < /cygdrive/c/temp/test.txt

  Does anyone know what it could be or know of any
known issues with
this action of having Perl send mail using ssmtp on an
cygwin platform?

  thank you