Re: ls output still truncated

Cesar Strauss wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>> Cesar Strauss wrote:

>>> Interesting fact that dir.exe works and ls.exe does not. Inspecting the
>>> source, the one and only difference between the two is:
>>>
>>> -- ls-ls.c begin --
>>> #include "ls.h"
>>> int ls_mode = LS_LS;
>>> -- ls-ls.c end --
>>>
>>> -- ls-dir.c begin --
>>> #include "ls.h"
>>> int ls_mode = LS_MULTI_COL;
>>> -- ls-dir.c end --
>>>
>>> For all purposes, they should behave exactly the same, except for the
>>> output format.
>>>
>>> It's a shot in the dark, but could you try:
>>> 1) Copy ls.exe to myls.exe and run it as myls.exe. Does it still fails?
>>> 2) Does ls -l also fails?
>>> 3) Does vdir.exe fails?
>>>
>>> Do you have antivirus or webcam software running? They are known for
>>> causing random problems in Cygwin apps.
>>>
>>> Cesar
>>>

>> No webcam software. I have av software but it's the same av software
>> that's been running for 2 years and never caused a problem before -
>> Symantec 10.0.2.2002. I can't remove it. It's a corporate PC and it's
>> against corporate policy to remove it.
>>
>> I created myls as you said and can not get it to fail. You may be on to
>> something! I just ran myls 30 times in a row on the one directory that
>> ls chokes on most often - /cygdrive. It didn't fail once. Ls on the
>> other hand fails almost 50% of the time.
>>

> The only pattern I can see, strange as it may be, is that somehow any
> process whose name is ls.exe is being killed randomly in your system.
>
> Try this:
> 1) Copy dir.exe to ls.exe
> 2) Copy du.exe to ls.exe
> 3) Copy myls.exe to /tmp/ls.exe
> Does the newly copied ls.exe fails in each case?
>
> Cesar

In each case, ls fails. Is there any way to determine what would
randomly be killing ls? Symantec AV is the only thing I can think of
that might do it but there's no indication in any of it's logs that
it's taken an action against ls.exe.

I did a quick google search on "virus +ls.exe" and found lots of hits.
There's apparently some malware that creates a file named ls.exe which
is making me even more suspicious that this it's Symantec trapping what
it thinks is a virus. I've configured Symantec to ignore everything
under the c:\cygwin directory but it's still happening. Perhaps a reboot
is in order.