RE: script problem

Actually the advantages tend to go the other way at this point.  The Cygwin
non-X rxvt is no longer being actively maintained upstream.  rxvt-unicode is
being actively maintained both upstream and here in Cygwinton.  It looks
nicer (fonts appear to get antialising), there's bugfixes (though I've only
ever run into one minor bug on the non-X rxvt), and has some Unicode/UTF-8
support if that's important to you.

I recently switched over to rxvt-unicode completely, after being a longtime
non-X rxvt user.  The only downside to the switch that I've experienced is
that my interactive shells take quite a bit longer to come up, but I think
that may have something to do with my setup rather than something intrinsic
to the rxvt-unicode+Xserver setup.  My usage pattern is such (start one or
two interactive shells and leave them up all day) that it's not an issue for
me.

> BTW, nobody has yet to suggest a solution to my original
> problems - XWin won't die during Windows shutdown.

Try Xming as your X server instead, I've never seen this problem with it.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle