Re: problem with globs using curly brackets and ^

* Jens Rasmussen (Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:34:17 +0200 (CEST))
> I'm having a problem with globs using curly brackets and ^.
> I've searched the web+forum with no luck, so I'm sorry if an answer
> aleardy exists.

The answer is in the bash manual page. What has that got to do with
Cygwin?!

> I've tried the commands on a linux environment and they worked fine + I've
> read elsewhere that they should work in cygwin.
> So I assume that my config is wrong. I'm using bash 3.2.15(13)-release
> (i686-pc-cygwin) and I've just updated all packages.
>
> THE PROBLEM (using ls for illustration):
>
> $ ls
> Desktop.ini  doc    optimering  test.txt
> bin          music  spaceninja
>
> FOLLOWING WORKS:
>
> $ ls -d {Desk*,doc*}
> Desktop.ini  doc

ls -d Desk* doc*

> BUT: (I assume that the following is because it normally makes no sense)
>
> $ ls -d {Desk*}
> ls: cannot access {Desk*}: No such file or directory

ls -d Desk*

> AND: (my actual problem)
>
> $ ls ^doc
> ls: cannot access ^doc: No such file or directory

"^" is only used in character ranges ("[^a-z]")

> $ ls -d ^{Desk*,doc*}
> ls: cannot access ^Desk*: No such file or directory
> ls: cannot access ^doc*: No such file or directory
>
> - And yes, I'm a Linux/UNIX/Cygwin newb!

This has nothing to do with Linux nor UNIX nor Cygwin:

$ shopt -s extglob
$ echo !(Desk*|doc*)

Thorsten