From: Igor Peshansky [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]
Sent: 3 mai 2007 10:18
To: Boffin, Stephane (GE Infra, Aviation, Non-GE)
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin username

Please do not commandeer an unrelated thread for a new topic.  Changing
the subject is not enough -- you have to post a new message altogether
if you want to break the thread.

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Boffin, Stephane (GE Infra, Aviation, Non-GE) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> When you log into cygwin using a shell the username used is the
> windows user name. I have a setup where I would like 10 users from 10
> diffrent PC  to have one username and 10 other using 10 other pc have
an other.

> This is because I only want to manage 2 user name in the passwd file.
>
> Is this possible ?
> And if yes how do I do that

I don't believe it's possible.  First off, entries in /etc/passwd
contain an SID that identifies the associated Windows user, so you'd
need to have one entry per Windows user anyway, or they will be
unrecognized by Cygwin.

You can have multiple entries in /etc/passwd with the same username, but
when Cygwin looks up a username, it stops at the first one, so anyone
trying to log in with that username will be treated as the first
matching user (and will need to enter the password for that user).

On the other hand, you can use the mkpasswd tool to manage your
/etc/passwd file instead of doing it by hand.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_	    pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu |

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis
Joplin