problem concating (>>) to a large file

I have a large file, let's call it A.  I want to stick the contents of a
small file (let's call it B) onto the end of A.

Until recently in cygwin I could just type:

            cat B >> A

and it did exactly what I wanted.

Now though, presumably because A has gotten so large, when I do the above
command the contents of file B get copied onto the front of file A rather
than onto its end.

I assume that A has become sufficiently large that a 64-bit file offset is
needed to properly address it and that >> doesn't currently support this.
If so this certainly seems like a short coming, perhaps even a bug.

I updated my version of cygwin to the latest version but this didn't help.

Is there a fix or workaround?

cp A B > C then mv C A achieves what I want but is slow, inefficient and
inconvenient.

I'm not on the list, so please copy any replies to my email address.

Thanks
    Peter