Re: multiple cygwin1.dll message

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 12:17:01PM -0400, John wrote:
>I finally got rid of c:\windows\system32\cygwin1.dll by cd-ing there in
>cygwin, seeing it (finally!) and deleting it.  It wouldn't delete
>because it was write protected, but it prompted me for Y/N, and Y got
>rid of it.  (perhaps the developers could add this test/prompt during
>normal upgrade/installs when it prompts for deleting it?  Would have
>saved the day for me!).  Anyway, a Windows search did not find it, I
>didn't visually see it in the directory, and my cygwin "find" I may
>have missed the filesystem in cygwin's nomenclature.  But it did seem
>to be "hidden" in Windows.

So to recap:

1) There was no reason to do a Windows search since two tools told you
exactly where the offending DLL was.

2) You didn't need to use Cygwin to get rid of it.  Any windows tool would
have sufficed.

3) You previously installed a poorly-behaved 3PP which installed
cygwin1.dll in a non-recommended location and then compounded the
problem by hiding it.  The Cygwin DLL in c:\windows\system32 was not
placed there by any official cygwin package.

>However, my Bourne shell script has broken.  Sigh.  If I can't figure
>that out I'll post a new query.

My crystal ball says that you probably have \r\n line endings in some shell
script.  You can install dos2unix to eliminate these.

cgf