Re: file permissions on vista

Arnaud Legout wrote:

> I have the latest version of cygwin installed
> CYGWIN_NT-6.0 cecile 1.5.24(0.156/4/2) 2007-01-31 10:57 i686 Cygwin
>
> When create a file or a folder in vista (using the explorer or a windows
> application),
> the file or folder is created without any right (like when a chmod 000
> is applied).
>
> This is a problem when you do a rsync.
>
> I can apply a
> chmod -R u+rwx *
> on the root folder, but this is not really clean.
>
> Is it a known but of cygwin on vista, or is it a consequence
> of the new security model introduced in vista (that I am not sure I
> understand).
> In the later case, is there something to configure in order to solve
> this issue?

I can't reproduce this.  I right click and create a new Notepad file
foo.txt, it has the permissions:

$ ls -l foo.txt
-rwx------+ 1 Administrators None 0 May 28 14:40 foo.txt

brian@vista /c/users/brian
$ getfacl foo.txt
# file: foo.txt
# owner: Administrators
# group: None
user::rwx
user:brian:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

This looks normal, I see the exact same behavior in Windows XP, except
the owner is my user instead of the Administrators group, but I think
there's a policy setting that controls this.

The permissions on a file created with native Windows methods should
inherit from the parent folder, following standard NTFS rules, so maybe
you need to look at what the containing folder's permissions are set to.

Brian