Re: replicating my cygwin install on a different machine

[6/7/2007 2:56 PM] Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 02:29:16PM +0200, Nenad Antic (KI/EAB) wrote:
[6/7/2007 12:26 AM] Jerome Fong wrote:
I was wondering if there was a way to save and duplicate my cygwin installation so I can replicate it on a different machine.
[snip]

The following has worked for me over more than 6 computers since 99:

Do

mount -m > cygwin_mount_points.bat

Shut down all cygwin apps, including installed services. Archive the entire cygwin directory with WinRAR (shareware, and so much better than any xZip, will preserve symlinks).

cd to the cygwin dir and save all ntfs file permissions using Pedelstal Software's NTSEC suite (shareware and still available at http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000034210), more specifically using saveacl.

saveacl -r -usepriv * cygwin_permissions.txt

Use your text editor of preference and globally search and replace any user names that have changed between the old and the new computer in 'cygwin_permissions.txt'.

Unpack the cygwin archive to your new location on the new computer.

That seems like a lot of work to go to when you could just use tar to create the archive. It will create files with the proper permissions.

cgf

But what if the user name is changed on the new machine? What about the SIDs in /etc/passwd and /etc/group? Do mean that when passwd and group are regenerated and if the user names stays the same everything will have the right permissions after untarring?

But then one might have things like postgresql and mysql file structures (like I do) that tar can't access (even if run as SYSTEM). The saveacl program with the -usepriv switch gets those as well. What about ssh protected keys?

/nenad