large paths in cygwin.

When will Cygwin get the ability to use large paths?

What are the roadblocks to Cygwin getting this feature?

I've been using rsync in Cygwin, and hit the limits of windows ASCII file names.

I've seen some discussion about Cygwin getting 2^15 char long paths, but
it doesn't appear to be present in current release Cygwin, or on CVS.

And yet for opening, and creating files and directories, NtCreateFile seems to be used.
This seems to imply it should be possible to change the CYG_MAX_PATH variable to a larger value, and get large part support for free.
Of course I get the feeling I've missed something ;)

So please help, What's going on ?