Re: Non-trusted domain user causes mkpasswd and mkgroup to fail

On 7/18/07, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
From: DePriest, Jason R.
> On 7/13/07, Matt Seitz (matseitz)  wrote:
> > "runas /netonly /user:machine2\userB" followed by "mkpasswd -d
> > machine2 -u userB":  fails
> >

> If the server is stand alone, wouldn't mkpasswd -l be more
> appropriate than mkpasswd -d?

That requires that I am able to run "mkpasswd" on the stand-alone
server.  Unfortunately, I don't have that option in this case.  If
"mkpasswd -l" allowed me to specify the name of another machine
(something like "mkpasswd -l <machine> -u <user>"), then that might be a
solution.

--
Matt Seitz
Manager, File System Virtualization

I have a complicated and untested idea that may or may not work, but it is worth a shot since you aren't able to put Cygwin on the stand-alone server to get a passwd file entry.

Try using a tool like psgetsid from Sysinternal's to get the SIDs of
the users you want to access your Cygwin system, then manually build
your own entries for your /etc/passwd file.

See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd and
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-sids

--
NOTICE:  This email is being sent in clear-text across the public
Internet.  Therefore, any attempts to include unenforceable legalese