is LD_PRELOAD available in cygwin?

hiho@ll

using google i found only a few post's about LD_PRELOAD in cygwin concerning patches.
Now i'm not sure if the linux-like LD_PRELOAD feature is available in cygwin.

What i try to do:
using g++ to compile a dll which overload's the open(); glibc system call.
Using preload i want to load my own dll with my open(); function. using dlsym(); i try to load the glibc open(); function.

On a suse box it works great, but cygwin seems to ignore LD_PRELOAD.
the commands i use:
g++ -g -c -Wall test.cpp
g++ -shared -o libtest.dll test.o -ldl
LD_PRELOAD=./libtest.dll somecommandwhichusesopensyscall

Q1: is LD_PRELOAD available in cygwin? if yes, any hint's why it's not working? (maybe some configuration problem or so, any hint would be helpfull)
Q2: are there any alternative ways to preloading causing the same result?

thx@ll