Re: Copy text from secured PDF

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
On 8/6/07, Steve Holden wrote:
Joel Rubin wrote:
pdftotext.exe, part of the XPDF package, can be recompiled with a /*
comment */ cut around the permission-to-copy/print code.

Probably the other programs will also work but since the PDF files being spammed just a few lines of text and all I want to do is forward the text to the Securities and Exchange Commission and maybe the Chinese Consulate (they seem to be spamming Chinese stocks) that's enough for me.

So if you have a LEGITIMATE reason to prevent the reader of a PDF file
from copying/printing don't use this method because it is very easy to
break - it depends on the co-operation of the reading program. And
open source reading programs can cease to co-operate.

Bob, I'm sure I will be sued by the author of the PDF, especially if
he can testify about the whole pump and dump conspiracy and not take
the Fifth Amendment.

I'm sorry to say this, but reporting each and every such spam to the SEC
is merely going to compound the problem by spamming them. If you aren't
part of the answer then you are part of the problem ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

The FTC wants it.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/online/inbox.shtm

"What Can I Do With the Spam in my In-Box?

Report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Send a copy of unwanted or
deceptive messages to spam@uce.gov. The FTC uses the unsolicited
emails stored in this database to pursue law enforcement actions
against people who send deceptive spam email."

I thought you were going to forward it to the SEC? Now it's the FTC?

In which case you should be forwarding the complete message, not pre-processing it - quite apart from anything else, you would reduce its forensic and evidential value to zero by doing so, eliminating any possibility of using it as the basis for a prosecution.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119