RE: Downloading pieces of Cygwin for non-installers

On 07 August 2007 13:08, Joel Rubin wrote:

> Quite a few Cygwin programs (and programs developed using Cygwin
> compilers) can be run without Cygwin. Almost always one needs
> Cygwin1.dll in one's path and perhaps some other DLL's.

  Wrong - see below for explanation.  See right here for demonstration:

-----------------------------<snip>-----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\dk>grep --version
'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\dk>\cygwin\bin\grep --version
grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1

Copyright 1988, 1992-1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

C:\Documents and Settings\dk>path | \cygwin\bin\grep cygwin

C:\Documents and Settings\dk>path
PATH=C:\Python24\.;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM;C:\
Pr
ogram Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
erver\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files\Support Tools\;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft
Driver Test Manager\Controller\;C:\Modeltech_6.1f\win32

C:\Documents and Settings\dk>
-----------------------------<snip>-----------------------------

> Some people use a lot of different computers not theirs (e.g.
> repairmen, consultants) and carry around a memory stick or CD/DVD-ROM
> of tools, preferably tools which don't need to be installed on the
> host computer.

  Well, their best technique is to install cygwin to their USB stick using
setup.exe.  That way they'll get a bin dir with all the required DLLs and
EXEs, and since windows always looks in the directory where the EXE comes from
if it can't find a DLL elsewhere, everything should "Just Work"(TM), as shown
above.

  Note that because of that, the cygwin dll does not need to be in the PATH.
The executable being invoked does need to be in the path, or the full path to
the executable nededs to be specified.

> (Among other things, if you're looking at a registry
> problem, you don't want to run an installation program.)

  Anytime you run a cygwin program, it will create the cygwin registry entries
if they don't already exist.

  We've heard of them.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms#3PP.

> It occurs to me that it might be useful to be able to download pieces
> of Cygwin in some form less Unixy than tar.bz2. (e.g. zip files)

  Why?  Useful for who?  When?  Where?

> One hazard of playing with this sort of thing is that sometimes one
> ends up with an old version of Cygwin1.dll in memory and it seems to
> be difficult to get rid of it without rebooting.

  That's largely why we don't support anything except standard installations
made using setup.exe.  It's just asking for trouble.

    cheers,
      DaveK