Re: Error when attempting to start inetd

Michael Grand wrote:

> I think /var/mail exists because I followed the instructions in this
> article: http://pigtail.net/LRP/exim/exim-cygwin.html

Ugh!  That guy is known to make a mess, I don't say the instructions are wrong,
I didn't read them or need them, but too many people come here after following
his instructions and ending up with a mess.

> I don't have an imapd, all I have is a uw-imapd.  When I run it, it does
> not give any output.

$ /usr/sbin/uw-imapd
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT
SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] Pre-authenticated
user rberber black IMAP4rev1 2003.339 at Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:38:12 -0500
a01 logout
* BYE black IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
a01 OK LOGOUT completed

So again, its not working as intended for you.  That test was with the older
imapd, which I still have around but not use.

I still think the cause of the problem is a firewall, inetd is allowed to use
ports 110 and 143 but when control is passed to imapd is blocked.  So you need
to give imapd the same "permission" that inetd has -- in Windows Firewall its
the Exceptions tab, add the program and make sure it is enabled.

Also make sure that /var/mail and /var/spool/mail are the same directory (one is
a link to the other), I just used File Monitor and saw that imapd does search in
all those places and more, but first in /var/mail, and since I have a symbolic
link it opens /var/spool/mail/<username>.
--
René Berber