Re: Slowness problem due to sjlj-exceptions for Octave

On 9/6/07, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <tmacchant2@yayjapanrox> wrote:
> [...]
> It is greatful for me.  Thank a lot.
>
> >Anthony Heading wrote:
>
> >>  Not to say
> >> that the constraint isn't technically real, but it it worth killing the
> >> Cygwin platform for Octave et al when mingw is available for those that
> >> need it?
>
> Octave by mingw is not perfect yet.  During configure and make, it
> causes problems
> so that I have to modify 'config.h'.
> After building, I have to modify produced shell command
> and some system command which was written by octave language.
> My trial mingw octave has not been perfect yet.
> One important system command does not work correctly.
> Benjamin lindar seems to be succeed it but his binary has not been
> coming up yet.
>
> Michael Goffioul has suceeded in building octave on MSVC platform.
> But it is not easy other people to use it for optimizeing and
> custamizing octave for thier computer.
>
> For cygwin, shuch effort is not usally required.
> We can make the octave just ./configure and make.
> It is still easiest platform to build octave by oneself.
> In addition windows gnuplot cannot be used as it is on octave 2.9.xx.
> Michael Goffioul solved this problem to prepare special gnuplot.
> However its speed is not enough and some times works buggy.
> The commucation octave with gnuplot X on cygwin has no problem.
>
> The above is my summary for the situation the Octave for windows at
> present.
>
> For octave for windows, the cygwin platform is still useful.
> Especially for the user dialy cygwin user.
> I uses gnuplot on X.  It is better for me than windows native one.
> So that I would like to use octave on the cygwin platform.
>
> Brian wrote:
> >I think you're confusing the two separate issues, or maybe I didn't
> >transition from one to the other very clearly.
> >
> >The reason we ship with SJLJ is because the Dwarf unwinder (prior to gcc
> >4.3) can't deal with foreign frames.  You can run into this simply by
> >writing a Windows GUI app, since the winproc is a callback.  This is
> >unrelated to whether you have static or shared libgcc, or exceptions
> >across libraries, or cygwin1.dll/msvcrt.dll.  I don't know how many
> >people use gcc 3.x to write Win32 GUI apps that use exceptions, but
> >without SJLJ I think it would be near-impossible to do this.  And that's
> >not a very far fetched or abstract idea: Cygwin's own setup.exe is a GUI
> >C++ app that uses exceptions, and it would fail miserably with 3.x
> >Dwarf2 EH.  You can't just say "sorry, gcc can't be used to write
> >Windows GUI apps if you want to use C++ exceptions."
>
> Octave itself does not have GUI so that Dwarf2 EH is possible to use
> it.
> In octave extention there is a Windows GUI interface.
> I did not test it in my binary.  But I have built many extention
> functions
> at the same time. For Windows GUI interface function, the building

So it did..

> I did not still see the origin of failure in detail.
> There is possiblity that the failure came frommy octave using Dwarf2
> EH.

> I will see it in detail in the near future.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards to all who replied this matter and read them.
>
> Tatsuro MATSUOKA

I just want to clarify... Can you give a dump of these two commands:
echo $PATH
gcc -v

from a cygwin command line... I suspect the reason all along is that
the REAL minGW is trying to ignore cygwin all together, but in the
process, cygwin is seeing a 'gcc' binary earlier in its PATH so it
uses that -- the official minGW binary.

MinGW-official has nothing to do with cygwin Here... thats why I asked...
(pause)

I've had the same problem and it was caused by:

having the PATH veriable set to
'c:\windows\;C:\windows\system32\;C:\Program
Files\MinGW\bin\;c:\cygwin\;c:\bin\;"

just checking... and yes i do alot of things with sJLJ...some of my
peers are native japanese speakers so i have to set up Vista to use
japanese as the first language.

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.