Re: ssh ProxyCommand not finding anything to execute

SQueeZe wrote:
Thanks for your reply Larry, I will continue with the cwRsync guys.

The 'advantage' of a package like cwRsync is that most Windows users
wouldn't understand or want to dabble with a cywgin install and the
intricacies that go along with it. cwRsync can be installed in about 10
seconds, and requires no knowledge of *Nix; I don't think the same could be
said of Cygwin.  Although I love Cygwin, if you just want a tiny, single
subset of its functionality, then it just isn't worth the full install.

Of course this has it's disadvantages as we are finding out now.....

Thanks again for your help.

I'm confused by the perception that Cygwin is an "all or nothing" deal.
It's certainly possible to set up a package server that doles out just a
subset of the entire distribution.  'setup.exe' does this now.  The default
set of packages is far less than the whole distribution.  Any package server
with its own 'setup.ini' can define a larger or smaller set of default
packages.  'setup.exe' will install only those defaults if the user doesn't
select any others.  I don't see where any of that requires special
knowledge.  But since cwRsync is still a Cygwin-based app, I also don't see
how one can get away from the fact that it's based in Cygwin and has its
roots in Unix/Linux/POSIX environments.  This would show through even with a
vanilla Windows port.

All that said, there's still no reason a third-party can't "go it's own
way".  Personally, I'd rather see them add value by working with Cygwin
instead of against it.  But I like synergy. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746