Re: math packages

Cole Radcliffe schrieb:
Is there any math package that I can install for free on cygwin that
will allow me to do symbolic algebra and symbolically solve DEs and
symbolically integrate better than my TI-89? Apparently Octave only
produces numeric solutions.

First we have mathomatic, quite good in symbolic algebra, but not so good as maxima or maple. At least it the simpliest to install and use.

Then we have singular, a very good symbolic algebra package.

maxima, the best, can be easily installed on top of clisp.
See http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2001/000871.html

PariGP can also be easily built with cygwin - I have my private versions somewhere - and can obviously also do some integration. Its strength are numbers.

The other symbolic math packages described at http://www.derekroconnor.net/Software/Software.htm we don't have.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/ http://murbreak.at/