Re: llrint implementation in Cygwin

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
> > > I understand that adding llrint to Cygwin is probably not hard at
> > > all for somebody familiar with Cygwin.  However, I am not such a
> > > person and I don't even have a Windows environment around to test
> > > any modifications I might make.

Cygwin uses newlib as-is for most such functionality.  So, patching
newlib to include llrint would automatically make Cygwin support it.

Also, newlib builds on Linux just as well as it does on Windows...

> > > We are about to make an MPlayer release and unfortunately it will
> > > not compile on Cygwin due to the missing llrint.  I would appreciate
> > > to know if this is going to get addressed so that I can put an
> > > appropriate comment in the release notes.
> >
> > What's wrong with adding llrint to your code (perhaps with a #define,
> > i.e.,
> >
> > #define llrint my_llrint
> > typeof(llrint) my_llrint(...) { ... }
> >
> > )?
>
> It is ugly and it is a workaround for a problem that should be solved
> outside of FFmpeg.  Should every project using llrint add that
> workaround?  No, Cygwin should be fixed.

Fair enough.  I agree that it's ugly, but ultimately it's your call --
whether you want your project to compile on Cygwin or whether you want to
require the feature that's missing and accept that Cygwin compilation will
be broken for a while.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Belief can be manipulated.  Only knowledge is dangerous.  -- Frank Herbert