Re: completely fresh reinstall of cygwin?

>> How can I get a fresh, independent install on my local c:\?

> You can rerun "setup.exe" and _specify_the_new_Cygwin_root_.

Annoyingly, I find that this useful recovery of an un-mounted system is a function that the current setup v.2.573.2.2 fails to do, that the earlier long-running v.2.510.2.2 always managed.

If a user becomes un-mounted for whatever reason (maybe by accident or maybe by design) then the old 2.510.2.2 could be relied upon to read /etc/setup/installed.db and if appropriate re-mount the user without downloading or installing anything. But 2.573.2.2 either does not read or does not understand /etc/setup/installed.db and will try to re-mount the user only by downloading and installing everything from scratch.

I fear there will come a time when I lose some important new functionality, but for the moment I am still only using 2.510.2.2 for all system management, for this reason.

Fergus