Re: "Unknown" user after logging into sshd under Vista

Daniel Noll wrote:
On Friday 05 October 2007 13:07:41 Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
OK, we now know the symptoms and the problem. But we don't have any basic

configuration information to do some simple triage with. In short:
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Please read and follow the above guidelines, paying particular attention to
the part about *attaching* cygcheck output.

In the absence of the above, my WAG is that the user you are logging in as
(domain user perhaps?) is not in your '/etc/passwd' file.  See 'man passwd'
and the Cygwin Users Guide <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/> for more
details.  Ditto for '/etc/group'.

Okay.

Firstly we have this little error that comes straight after running it:

[501] daniel@Monolith:~> cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
'id' program not found
'id' program not found

This suggests your installation isn't complete.  It's hard to say how
incomplete without the full cygcheck output but why don't you just try
re-running 'setup.exe' and walking through all the pages and see if you
can find 'id' after that.  I'm wondering if some postinstall scripts
didn't run.  If that doesn't work, look in '/etc/postinstall' for any
scripts there that don't have a '.done' suffix.  Make a note of these
and try running them yourself.  See if that helps.  If not, report what
you did and saw.

It does then run, but it recurses forever on one of Windows' (many :-/)
recursive registry nodes.  I've attached the portion of the file before
this takes place, in the hope that the stuff which comes after won't be
needed.

Yikes!   Never seen or heard of this before.  This doesn't strike me as a
'Good Thing'(tm).  I don't know if it's coming into play here or not but
it doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

/etc/passwd looks like this:

<snip>

/etc/group has:

Yeah these look OK. It looks like you're working on your on machine outside of any Windows domain. That's useful info (though not clearly pointing to a solution).

Holliston, MA 01746