Re: cygwin makes shared folders on vista

jxt wrote:

> If I do a mkdir in a bash shell, it creates a folder that vista thinks is
> shared. Doesn't happen in the normal vista cmd shell. Doesn't happen on
> XP. And turning off sharing in vista takes forever (minutes).
>
> Worse, if I untar a tgz file, in cmd or bash, it creates a vista shared
> folder. chmod -R doesn't help, and unsharing in vista again takes forever
> and doesn't even unshare all the sub folders and files.
>
> Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any idea how to fix it? Could my
> cygwin installation be bad?
>
> Thanks.

I see the exact same behavior on every Cygwin/Vista installation I've done.
This also happens when you create a file in Cygwin (just touch a file to
test it).  I can only presume that there is something fundamentally wrong
about how Cygwin creates ACLs (Access Control Lists, the Windows version of
permissions) when you create files or folders on Vista.

Comparing a file touched in Cygwin vs a file created in Vista, the ACLs look
different (Cygwin has 'Everyone' while Vista has 'SYSTEM', and Cygwin has
'Users' while Vista has the actual group you are in, or in this case
'Administrators').  If you remove the permissions on 'Users' the icon will
go away.  It looks like the fundamental problem is that Cygwin is not
creating files/folders with the correct group permissions for Vista?

Wondering if any of the devs have a comment on this (Or have they seen this
effect in Vista?  Can't miss it if you've installed it).