Re: cygwin makes shared folders on vista

nmehta wrote:

<snip>

I can also say that CYGWIN=notntsec does fix this behavior (created folders
are no longer shared).  I have searched for information about this setting
but haven't yet found a good explanation.  Can you shed some light on what
this env variable does, and what are the consequences of setting it (or
point me to a post/resource that can explain it?)

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>

Brian Dessent wrote:
Now you're just being ridiculous.  Nowhere is the mailing list described
as a users mailing list, unless somebody at Nabble has messed up.  The
description on cygwin.com is quite clear that this is the right list for
nearly all Cygwin related topics.  And besides, it is trivially easy to
show that all the Cygwin developers follow this list closely because
there are hundreds if not thousands of messages by them in the archives.

Lighten up. The guy got no responses for six weeks with maybe his first post to the list. Additionally, the forum on Nabble is entitled "Cygwin Users". A simple 'No, the devs do in fact read this list' would suffice.

Perhaps.  But it's not a Nabble requirement that the Cygwin web site be
avoided.  And since Nabble really has nothing whatsoever to do with Cygwin,
using it as a source of data for anything Cygwin isn't a good idea.  If the
OP needed to know if he was posting to the right forum, a trip to the Cygwin
site would seem to be in order.  Also, it seems it's time to once again note
that this isn't a paid support service.  One isn't guaranteed a response
in any particular time-frame or even ever.  The volunteers here answer
questions as their time and knowledge permit.  Usually, if no one answers
a particular thread, it's because no one has a good response, at least
at that time.  But the problem reports are always read by everyone on this
list, including the Cygwin developers.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746