Re: Unable to recirsively delete a directory

Paul McFerrin wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Michael.MacAllister wrote:

<snip>

I can read and write to the /z drive and I can delete individual files
but I
can't delete folders (rm -rf anypath) from the cygwin command line. I
get the followning error.
$ rm -rf /s/test/
rm: cannot remove directory `/s/test/': Directory not empty
I can delete folders if I use windows explorer, or in a Unix xterm. The
files belong to the user and are not locked. Does anyone have any ideas?

Let's start here:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Include in your report a onsistent example and 'cygcheck rm' prior to your
example showing the problem. Also, we need to know what kind of network
drive this is and where it's coming from. My WAG right now is that 'rm'
isn't Cygwin's version outside of 'xterm'.

I've been seeing this same problem since B20! It usually involves deleting a
large directory tree with a few thousand files. I just switch to MS-Dos mode
and use their rm command without any problem. So yes, looks like more than
one person has seen this problem.

I'll extend the same invitation to you as well then.  If you can provide
a reproducible problem report, that would be helpful.  Please use don't
provide it in the context of B20 though. ;-)

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746