RE: bash: fork: Permission denied -- how can I fix this?

Dave Korn wrote:

> On 19 September 2007 23:28, James Adams wrote:
>
>> I fixed the problem by installing into another directory other than
>> C:\cygwin.  I have no idea why this fixes the problem, but probably it
>> has
>> something to do with security packages installed on the computer (it's a
>> new
>> work laptop which appears to have several security related programs
>> installed on it by corporate IT).
>>
>> --James
>
>   It might be worth checking the http://cygwin.com/acronyms#BLODA.  I owe
> Cygwin 1 FAQ entry for this, in the meantime the latest version of the
> list
> can be seen at
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-talk/2007-q3/msg00174.html
>

>     cheers,
>       DaveK
> --
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today....
>

> --

Hi, I had this same error, and recovered by moving c:\cygwin to
c:\cygwin.some_other_name, then reinstalling the entire cygwin pretty much
as I had it before.

So, in my case at least it doesn't seem to be security; just a "reinstall
from scratch" type of thing.

I had noticed that for the past few weeks, it had been taking longer to
bring up a cygwin bash window than before; otherwise it appeared to be fine.
Now, the bash shell comes up instantly as it had prior to a few weeks ago
(so, this oddity is now gone too).

What I had done during those weeks was, gradually install a few packages
that I hadn't previously (ssh, ccrypt, probably a few others I can't
remember).  The twist was, I do this (download and install) on two machines.
The cygwin install directory is on a portable hard drive; as I download new
packages to it on a couple different machines, I install them on both
machines as I reconnect the drive to them.  Oh, also, this installation
folder is Really Old; probably at least 3 years old (and I've upgraded it to
new cygwin versions at least twice).

My version info from cygcheck --sysinfo is:

 1830k 2007/01/31 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.5.24
        DLL epoch: 19
        DLL bad signal mask: 19005
        DLL old termios: 5
        DLL malloc env: 28
        API major: 0
        API minor: 156
        Shared data: 4
        DLL identifier: cygwin1
        Mount registry: 2
        Cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        Program options name: Program Options
        Cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        Cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        Cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        Cygdrive default prefix:
        Build date: Wed Jan 31 10:57:51 CET 2007
        CVS tag: cr-0x5f1
        Shared id: cygwin1S4

Anyhow, I figure that something went bad; reinstalling has fixed.  Going on
my merry way.