get cygpath to leave relative paths as relative?

If I execute
    mypath=`cygpath -w ../`
    echo $mypath

I get
    d:\unix\nextVersion\script

OK, d:\unix\nextVersion\script is the correct windows version of the path, but it is in absolute form. I would prefer it if cygpath left it in relative form, i.e.
    echo $mypath
should output
    ..\

Executing
    cygpath --help
indicates that the only related option is -a, but that forces conversion to absolute paths, which is the opposite of what I want. It seems, unfortunately, as if cygpath has -a on by default and has no way to turn it off!

Is this a known bug or implementation quirk in cygpath, or did I overlook something? (Web searching on cygpath and "relative path" generated a ton of hits, but none out of the first 100 that I looked thru seemed related...)