Re: ls: reading directory /: No such file or directory

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:37:11 -0500,
Robert Pendell <shinji+gmane[at]elite-systems[dot]org> wrote:

>Now looking at your mount points I would say that there are 7 potential
>problem points.  The 3 mounts pointing to smb shares and the 4 mounts
>for your drives.  If the drive doesn't exist then it can cause this.  If
>the smb share cannot be reached it may be causing this and the 2 second
>delay.

That's "bingo!" :)

  Now creating a folder in the root to match the mount point will
>resolve this issue without having to change your mount table however.  I
>just checked and that cleared it right back up.

It did for me, too-- I now get error messages that actually make some
sense, and fit the circumstances. Previously, my mount table was...

First, I removed the bogus drive 'E: on /e', which I think was for
mapping network drives (before I knew that Cygwin could handle the
'\\host\drive\' smb share syntax directly). For the rest, I created the
empty directories to match the mount points. Being that Cygwin has its
own way of mapping POSIX file permissions onto Windows ones, I
'umount'ed each entry, created the directory with 'mkdir' (instead of
cmd.exe or Explorer), then remounted, which I was then able to do
without resorting to 'mount -f'.

When I went to mount my network shares, things got more interesting.
When I mounted one machine that is currently powered down, 'mount'
accepted it without comment after a slight delay. When I mounted the
other, which is currently accessible...

Administrator@winxp-notebook ~
$ mount '\\Winxp-desk\c' /desk-c
mount: defaulting to '--no-executable' flag for speed since native path
       references a remote share.  Use '-f' option to override.

So I went back and mounted the powered down machine with the same flag.
My mount table now looks like this:

Administrator@winxp-notebook ~
$ mount
\\Winxp-inspiron\c on /inspiron type system (binmode,noexec)
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP on /tmp type system (binmode)
\\Winxp-desk\c on /desk-c type system (binmode,noexec)
\\Winxp-desk\d on /desk-d type system (binmode,noexec)