Re: FW: can't access c: drive in cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU> Reformatting.

Shaun Smiley wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) [mailto:reply-to-list-only-lh <AT> cygwin <DOT> com]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR> Thanks.

Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:12 AM
To: cygwin <AT> cygwin <DOT> com
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR> Thanks.

Subject: Re: can't access c: drive in cygwin

Shaun Smiley wrote:
Cygwin has stopped accessing the C: drive like it used to. When I open
cygwin bash, I can access \cygdrive\c\documents and settings\shaun just
fine. But, there should be a lot more folders and files under \cygdrive.
In fact, that particular folder is the only thing that comes up. No other
files or folders appear. I tried reinstalling cygwin, but it seems that
there are some saved settings somewhere, as it's still behaving the same.

Please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines given at the link referenced below:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

> The thing is, I know it worked before.  I am actually using
> /cygdrive/c
> As that's what appears as default in bash.  I previously put \cygdrive\c out
> of habit.
> Something has changed though.  I think I may have been trying to change a
> setting a while back, not realizing that I was breaking it.  I essentially
> just need to know how to reset Cygwin settings back to defaults(the way
> everything was when I installed it) so that I could get bash to access my
> harddrive(via cygdrive) again.  I am unable to find this information
> anywhere, however.

The problem I have in answering your inquiry is that it proceeds from a false assumption. Cygwin does not hide things it finds in the file system. If the directory and files exist in a particular directory and are accessible, they will be visible and accessible from Cygwin. But without knowing more about your configuration, I can only guess as to what your problems might be (which is why I was directing you to <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>). My WAG is that your '/etc/passwd' and '/etc/group' files are invalid. You can regenerate them with 'mkpasswd' and 'mkgroup'. See:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup>
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd>

for details on their usage.  If that doesn't work, you can try setting
'nontsec' in your CYGWIN environment variable.  See:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746