Re: Uninstalling Cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:24:59AM +0100, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

Asunto: RE: Uninstalling Cygwin

Wonderful, merçi beaucoup, Sylvain, that worked.  Didn't realise this
could be so easy.  Cygwin documentation / FAQ people, maybe this would
be wise to incorporate somewhere in the uninstall documentation on your
website, as I suspect all users running winXP and higher experience
these problems when having chacged file ownership.  Thanks again.

For this , include the FAQ in a Wiki is a good option. One also can
include user tips.

You should have paid closer attention to the discussion. This would be just the kind of confusion we don't need. Having people update the "FAQ" with a "tip" that was *already* in the "FAQ" would just cause more confusion.

cgf
I have to say that I agree with cgf. I should have looked in the FAQ before, it would have saved some typing. I have had exactly the same issue before and perhaps didn't find the answer at that time. People who come from a UNIX background tend to use chown or chmod but may have already deleted chown.exe and chmod.exe. Perhaps adding the exact cacls invocation in the FAQ would be helpful

I do not think that an external wiki would be a good idea, as the developers already have to face numerous questions arising from outdated documentation. The most common source of questions on the cygwin mailing list was at a time SSH (mis-)configuration. Users followed wrong directions and did not run ssh-host-config but tried to setup everything by hand. And when MS reduced the privileges of the SYSTEM account for XP, everything broke.

Best regards

Sylvain RICHARD