RE: iconv vs. libiconv confusion

On 11 February 2008 19:13, Reini Urban wrote:

> 2008/2/11, Dave Korn <dave.korn@PCYM>:
>>   Does anyone understand the difference between iconv_open and
>> libiconv_open, and why the libiconv package supplies a header that
>> declares only iconv_XXX and a library that defines only libiconv_XXXX?  I
>> find this confusing, and so does ./configure and friends.
>
> libiconv_xxx was used for a seperate and probably newer libiconv installed,

  Sorry, I can't parse that!

> while iconv_xxx usually comes with glibc.

  To elaborate: I'm building graphviz.  Its configure correctly spotted we
have no iconv_xxx functions in the library, so did not define HAVE_ICONV; the
application the supplies its own dummy stubbed-out versions of the
iconv_open/iconv/iconv_close functions, but although those functions don't
exist they /are/ prototyped in the header file and hence the build fails
because the dummy versions don't have quite the same prototypes as the
non-existing ones declared in the header file.

  There are any number of fairly simple solutions to this clash, but I am
hoping to get a slightly fuller understanding of the situation before I go
further[*].

> Is libiconv from me? I'll have to check these mistakes then.

  Um, no, I don't think so; according to the package maintainers' list posted
on 12/12 last year to -apps, Chuck W. maintains libiconv/libiconv2.

> clisp, where iconv is coming from, never used libiconv_*,
> its iconv.m4 just tests for the main iconv_open, _close functions.

  This has nothing to do with clisp.  As far as I can see, you're completely
off the hook, but thanks for helping anyway!

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - My understanding of i18n is on about the same level as a tourist who
thinks that translating == shouting louder!  ;-)