Re: xemacs

Taras D wrote:
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me why the following has occurred.

When I first installed cygwin, I pretty much just installed xemacs (no
emacs and a whole bunch of other stuff). Xemacs could be started from
the bash script (black background) with the command 'xemacs &'. It
would start in a new window with a white background.

Now that I have installed a whole bunch of other cygwin things:

1) I find I need to run startxwin.sh, then type 'xemacs &' in the
shell with a white background (no longer runs from the black
background)
2) xemacs now starts with a grey bacground (?!)

How come this has changed? Is it a different version of xemacs?

Thanks all

I would suspect you installed the X Server functionality which in turn installed the X Windows version of that program. To start xemacs without it starting a new window use the "-nw' command line option (xemacs -nw). You should be able to do this from the non-X cygwin terminal (the one you refer to as the black windows)