RE: bash init failing on cygwin terminal launch

On 13 February 2008 19:40, Rowe, Thomas wrote:

> When I launch a cygwin terminal I see this line:
>        : No such file or directoryand Settings/rowet/.bashrc
>
> Then I am dumped into a bash prompt where .bashrc hasn't been read and I
> think the normal bash config stuff hasn't finished either.  If I type
> 'bash[return]' from this screwed-up login everything works fine.
>
> Obviously something is tripping up on the space in %HOME%='C:\Documents
> and Settings\rowet'.

  Maybe so, but you also got a CR lineending in there, which is why the error
message wrote over itself in that characteristic way.  You probably edited
/etc/profile or one of the other scripts using notepad/wordpad/similar.

  To figure out exactly where, open a cmd.exe shell, cd into your cygwin bin
dir, and run "bash --login -i -x".  You should be able to follow what's
getting invoked when that way; then just run d2u on the offending script.

    cheers,
      DaveK