Re: Threading issue in cygwin python 2.5.1-2 ?

On Feb 13 09:35, Jim Kleckner wrote:
> What is the best way to proceed with this?
>
> It appears to have been a change since 1.5.18 if Jason's guess
> is correct.
>
> I can build a debug version of Python if that is useful.
> I can build a debug version of cygwin if that is useful although
> previous list comments suggest that it requires some deep
> knowledge to do/use properly.

Building cygwin from CVS requires gcc, a spare build directory (don't
build in the source dir), and the deep knowledge how to get rid of the
optimizer flag when building.  It boils down to

  Read http://cygwin.com/cvs.html
  [...]
  $ cvs co winsup
  $ mkdir ../build
  $ cd ../build
  $ ../src/configure
  $ make CFLAGS=-g CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET=-g
  Stop all Cygwin processes
  Replace /bin/cygwin1.dll with new-cygwin1.dll from your build dir.
  Copy cygwin1.dbg from the build dir to /bin.
  Start debugging.

What would be helpful is a simple testcase in plain C which does not
require an interpreter (python) to run.  The less environment, the less
code you need to reproduce a problem, the simpler to debug.

> As an off-topic side note, it sure would be nice to be
> able to use valgrind just once on cygwin!

Easy.  Just ask the valgrind guys to stop relying on non-portable Linux
features.

Corinna

Red Hat