Re: invoke vbscript from cygwin?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net> wrote:
> Dave Burns wrote:
>
>  > Yes, that worked splendidly. Should I have known about these
>  > executables? Are they the regular interpreters for vbscripts?  I know
>  > little about cygwin and nothing about vbscript, and I did not see
>  > these mentioned in the documentation.
>
>  The Cygwin documentation?  Why would they be there?

That's my point. Previous poster seemed to think it should be obvious,
but I was just skimming the cygwin docs, which have no reason to
mention them.

>  The Windows Script Host is
>  documented by MS on MSDN though:
>  <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ey73d9d3(VS.85).aspx>

What's that? If we'd never had this conversation, I'd never have
followed that link as a clue to solve this problem.

>  > Maybe I was too hasty, but I
>  > didn't even see "Here's how you invoke a regular windows .exe from
>  > within cygwin". I'm sorry for mystifying you - someone handed me an
>
>  There's no fundamental difference between running a Cygwin command and a
>  non-Cygwin command from a shell prompt, in the end it's just an .exe
>  either way: you type its name and the shell runs it if it can find it in
>  the PATH.

This is useful to know. It seems non-obvious to me, as a newbie-ish
user of cygwin. Maybe I was just having brain-hiccup. Not clear where
to put it in the docs, if someone wanted to make it more obvious.
Maybe it is obvious enough already.

Short review - to run a script from cygwin, find the exe that is the
interpreter of the script (in the case of vb script, cscript.exe or
wscript.exe) and invoke the interpreter with the script as an
argument.

Thanks all,

Dave