Re: Directory existence prevents .exe execution

Luke, I think the fundamental point that you're missing here is that Cygwin is intended to be a subspecies of Unix, not a subspecies of Windows.

I'm not familiar with Ici, but if it currently has both Windows and Unix versions, you should expect the Unix version, not the Windows version, to be appropriate for Cygwin. If it's currently Windows-only and doesn't have a Unix version, it's very unlikely to just work as a native Cygwin build without considerable effort. You should expect that porting code from Windows to Cygwin will take an effort comparable to porting it to Linux.