Cygwin Postinstall Scripts Failure

Today I tried to do a new cygwin install on Windows 2003 Server (x64).
This is probably about the 30th time I've installed cygwin in the last
couple of years, but it might be the first 64-bit 2003 install I've
done (I have successfully done 64-bit Vista installs a few months ago).

Note that the install appears to succeed from the point of view of
running the setup.exe command.  But when I bring up the first bash
shell, the PATH does not include /bin or /usr/bin.  I traced this
back to /etc/profile not existing and this ultimately lead me to
postinstall script failures.

I've attached the setup output showing that most of the postinstall
scripts fail with either an error or 126 or 128.  I'm still unsure
what these error codes are exactly so any pointers to the meaning
of these would be appreciated.  Note that the setup.log.full was
edited down as it the full version was rejected by a mail gateway.
Let me know if I editing out anything you wish to see.

More details on the scenario are:

1. The install was on a Xen virtual machine
2. Windows was installed and all updates applies immediately before
   installing cygwin
3. This was Windows 2003 R2 (but not with SP2)
4. The setup.exe came from the cygwin.com webpage on April 29, 2008
5. The dotsrc mirror was used
6. The on change to the default package selection was to include "vim"
7. The install was done from the local "Administrator" account
8. The box was not in a domain
9. While the above refers to the single run where I attempted this,
   I have run into this problem during multiple tries in the last
   few days, but I'm hoping this example is has fewer variables
   than the previous run (which was not on a newly installed Windows
   box that had been up an running for a while in a Xen VM)

Any suggestions on further experiments/diagnosis I can do would be
welcome. I'm going to give it a try on a 32-bit version of Win2003
to see if it's sensitive to that.

Also, I tried running the /etc/postinstall scripts by-hand after
the install completed.  I didn't see any errors reported from
this, but it didn't appear to fix the problem (e.g., /etc/profile
still did not exist).

-- Eric

The information contained in this transmission may be
confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further
distribution of confidential information is not permitted
unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by
Quantum Corporation. Furthermore, Quantum Corporation is not
responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the
substance of this communication or for any delay in its
receipt.