Re: Newbie needs help using mingw with cygwin

Mark Hanlon wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to building Lilypond from source using cygwin (Some parts of the lilypond source have to be changed so that is why I can't download the binary :(

I am using the configure script supplied with Lilypond.

Unfortunately, Lilypond requires GCC 4.0 and above, so I have downloaded a mingw at version 4.1.
I have changed my Path Environment variable and the etc/profile file to use the mingw version of GCC.

Everything works fine apart from when I run the configure script it is now complaining that it can't find guile and flex.
When I don't use mingw, it finds them and only complains about the compiler being less than 4.0.

Anyone any ideas what is going on and an idea how to fix it would be lovely.

You're asking for mingw to work as a cygwin compiler, but the run-time libraries are incompatible.
I'd bet on installing a recent gcc build for cygwin. If you don't need g++, you could take pre-built binaries from gfortran wiki. Doesn't the lilypond maintainer have instructions?