Re: mail-archives disappear on ftp mirror sites

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 05:29:52PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Sven Severus wrote:
>>This is very regrettable.  I miss these mail-archive files pretty much,
>>because they were an excelent source of knowledge about cygwin and
>>help.  With these files and the grep utility I have almost always found
>>solutions for my problems or at least useful references...  I think
>>many cygwin users would agree with this.
>
>You don't need the raw archives for that.  Google "site:cygwin.com
>inurl:ml inurl:cygwin search-term-here" works wonderfully and doesn't
>require downloading many megabytes of junk.  You can even add
>"inurl:2007" to limit by year.  Also, there's the mhonarc search tool
>on the site, as well as gmane and nabble.  Gmane even has a download
>function for retrieving archives if you really must have them.  You're
>making this out as a problem that simply does not exist.

True.  There is also the fact that the archives were being downloaded by
spammers and that they took up an ever-increasing amount of disk space.
Since they basically just duplicate information that is easily
retrievable elsewhere, there really didn't seem to be any reason to keep
them around.

And, since it took the OP many months to notice that they were no longer
available, it seems like there really can't be that big a demand for
them.

cgf