Re: Re: Patch to allow Cron to use non-POSIX shells like Powershell.exe and CMD.exe

Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> writes:

> Why should we patch a cygwin utility to promote the use of a non-cygwin shell?

To increase/improve productivity. To move along with the times.

No one can argue that Powershell isn't a good shell taking some of the
best features of many popular shells before it.

> Sending text files as application/octet-stream makes them harder to read in
> email.  Consider using a text MIME type instead.

> You should fix your mailer to not send duplicate copies of a message when
> writing to a text-only mailing list.

I just used GMails default. I'm not sure if I can do what you want.

> And what's wrong with doing this with what cron already provides:

> * * * * * /cygdrive/c/windows/system32/windowspowershell/v1.0/powershell -
> Command '"c:\documents and settings\blair sutton\my
> documents\windowspowershell\test\test.ps1" one two three'

This doesn't work. Have you tried? Also why not support any shell -
that's what Paul Vixie originally intended right?

> I'm not the cron maintainer, but I hope he doesn't bloat the code for this.

Four extra lines of code is bloat to you?

Perhaps you are being a little sensitive here don't you think?