From: Spiro Trikaliotis <an-cygwin@spiro.trikaliotis.net>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:46:59 AM
Subject: Re: How to correctly setup passwd and group to access mounted  drives?

Hello,

* On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 12:59:37PM +0000 uday wrote:

> Problem in short:
> =================
>
> I have a folder on a unix server mapped as a windows drive z(y is another drive from
> another unix server).
> I am able to browse through the folders from windows explorer and read/write there.
>
> I am running into an issue when I access those mapped network drives from cygwin.
> When I try I get the following error message "
> uday_p@uday-xp /cygdrive
> $ ls -l
> total 4
> drwxrwxr-x+ 30 ???????? SYSTEM 0 Jun 3 09:35 c
> drwxr-xr-x 37 uday_p Domain Users 1536 Mar 12 23:34 y
> drwxr-xr-x 36 uday_p Domain Users 1536 May 31 23:58 z
>
> uday_p@uday-xp /cygdrive
> $ ls y
> ls: reading directory y: Permission denied

I know this behaviour in case when you log on via ssh, and you are using
the passwordless authentication (i.e., public key authentication). In
this case, Windows does not know about your passwords, and you get the
permission denied. This is already known - at least, it was when I
investigated this some years before.

Unfortunately, running "net use \\\\myserver\\myshare /user:myuser" to
enter the password does not work either when you connect via ssh.

Workaround: Use passwords instead of public keys.

So: Are you using these commands "directly" from bash, or are you
remotely connected via ssh?

Best regards,
Spiro.

--